You can flaunt wear your Emerald – Diamond Jewels everyday, provided that you are careful and each piece is secure in a solid setting. If the stone is exposed, there’s a chance you might damage it, but if the setting envelops the stone from all sides, protecting the corners, one can certainly wear it daily.
Emeralds are by Nature Fragile!
Now emeralds typically contain inclusions and microcracks. These creep in mainly due to how emeralds are mined using explosives. Although, emeralds scores 7.5-8 on the Mohs scale, third among the precious gems after diamond and corundum, in the hardness score.
These micro-cracks may be hairline, yet are capable of weakening the overall stone structure. To remedy this – jewellers treating the emerald with oil or resin. Oil is generally used for minor cracks and works to improve the stone’s transparency. The resin on the other hand, acts as a kind of glue to increase the strength of the stone.
Follow these simple tips to keep your Emerald-Diamond jewels looking their best:
- Regularly wipe the jewels with a microfiber cloth to ensure it is kept clean at all times.
- Emeralds should never be cleaned with ultrasonic or steam, which will remove the oil filling the cracks and can even increase the size of existing cracks.
- If you spot some dirt on an emerald and you can’t remove it with a simple wipe of a cloth, use a cotton swab soaked in warm water. As a last resort, the cotton swab can be replaced with a soft toothbrush.
- Emeralds are better suited to earrings and pendants, which are less prone to shock and abrasion compared with rings and bracelets.
- Additionally, avoid showering, washing dishes or playing sport in emeralds, or any activity that risks exposing them to additional damage.
- In the event you spot any damage to the your emerald-diamond jewellery, do not panic. It can be returned to its former beauty, through polishing. Although its better to let a professional at Kanjimull take care of it rather than you attempting at a risk of even greater damage to the jewellery.
Visit our online shop to browse a diverse line of jewellery available exclusively online.